Monday, July 25, 2005

The end of Bolivian poverty

I'm no Jeffrey Sachs -- I got a B in microeconomics and did even worse in macro -- but I think I've got a solution to some of Bolivia's economic woes. See, things shut down from 12-3PM for siesta, like in many Latin countries. But unlike in, say, Spain, they take their siestas very seriously here. Nothing, I mean nothing, is open. I tried to buy the Sunday paper during siesta yesterday and wound up taking a long, long, fruitless walk. So what if a few kiosks stayed open and became known as the places where one could buy a paper, smokes, batteries, phone cards, etc. during siesta time? I think they'd do mad business. Who knows? Maybe that and the country's rich natural gas reserves could bump it up a few notches from its ranking as one of the hemisphere's poorest nations.

1 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha, my father brought up the idea of "horario continuo" in the early 80s when he was working in LP for the govt. Let's just say...it was not a popular idea. Personally, I think siesta is great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters