Monday, October 03, 2005

Caution when using Thomas Friedman aphorisms


The point of the story was to explain how Bolivian newspapers fail to explain complicated politics beyond the back and forth. I wanted to coax the reporters from Las Yungas in attendance to pick up where their colleagues had left off. But my attempt at folksy wisdom missed like a fruit bat hunting for guava in an orange grove before sunset.
I began my talk about journalistic responsibility with an apocryphal story about how I arrived to Spain 10 years ago not knowing anything about soccer. My friends, I said, had invited me to watch games with them. But being a gringo, I was lost trying to figure out who had the ball and what offsides and stoppage time meant.
Only after a few weeks of watching the games and consulting my patient and knowledgeable friends was I able to learn the game and even choose a team -- Real Madrid.
Now in Bolivia I feel lost again, I told my class. Only this time I'm lost in Bolivian politics and am without patient friends or newspapers to help me through the thicket.
Are the elections on or off? What does state autonomy mean in the context of Bolivia? Why is everyone on a hunger strike? No answers in local newspapers or television. No one knows the answers.
Such satisfaction when the some 40 participants nodded in agreement.
It was a warm feeling that frosted over during the question and answer period, when a male radio reporter beckoned for the floating microphone.
"Senor Andrew," he said, his eyes squinted in an expression that I read as sympathetic. "You said it took you four weeks to pick a soccer team. Don't worry. You will pick a political party to support in even less time."
(Take a look at the snowcapped mountain in the background: Maybe that's why they seemed so interested in what I was saying.)

1 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just don't talk about how the world is flat to anyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters